Saturday 9 July 2011

Not an aspiring writer

I love to write. I used to call myself an aspiring writer, but no more. It took a long time for me to understand what is obvious to me now, but I finally got there. I'm not an aspiring writer, I'm a writer. Period

Writing is what I love to do and what I have to do. If I want to keep on living a somewhat normal life, I have to keep on writing. It's as simple as that. Writing is the only thing that stands between me and the black and bottomless pit commonly known as depression.

I've suffered from depression on and off for years, ever since I was a teenager. And believe me, 'suffer' is the right word. To me it's unbelievable that there are still ignorant people out there that believe that you can get out of a depression by 'pulling yourself together' or 'thinking happy thoughts'

Silly people, depression is a disease and a debilitating one at that. It's not easy to find the right way to cope with it all. For some psychotherapy can be very helpful. Others turn to mindfulness (this really helped me), and for some people anti-depressants are the way to go.

As for me, right now writing is about the only thing that helps to keep the darkness at bay. So I write. And so ... this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment