Tuesday 13 December 2011

A light for George Michael

Some of George Michael's fans are lighting a candle every day as an act of prayer for him. I do this too, and have done it ever since the news came that he was very ill. Thank God that the news about George is quite good now and his doctors as well as his close friends tell us he is improving. Nevertheless he is in my thoughts and prayers every day. 

A simple light, a silent prayer.

I was raised in a rather orthodox Protestant family, where lighting a candle as a form of prayer was seen as a Roman-Catholic invention and thus lightly frowned upon. It certainly wasn't thought of as a 'proper' prayer. But my thoughts about what is and what isn't a prayer have changed a lot since I was a kid.
Today I have a deep faith that in the end good will triumph over evil and light will beat the darkness. So I light a candle for George because I love the symbolism.

All in all George Michael is on my mind a lot these days. I want to turn some of that energy into a couple of blog posts; light a candle made of words. Over the next few weeks I'll write some blog posts about the fight against homophobia. A few years ago I noticed some barely disguised homophobia in some threads on a George Michael forum and I got quite angry about it.
And that was what motivated me to become actively involved in the fight against homophobia. Because as the proverb says It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

1 comment:

  1. Good words girl!!!


    Gr. one of your first two fans!!!!

    ReplyDelete