Tuesday 22 November 2011

A Flawless Wedding

This is the last of the blog posts of the blog I started a week before my wedding. I didn't keep a copy of the other posts, which I kinda regret now. I remember blogging the night before our wedding, all nervous and happy. And I posted a very short post on the morning of the wedding, just before the make-up girl came to work her magic on us!

I still love our wedding rings!
Only six days to go till "I do". Maria and I are getting more nervous by the day. It’s a big thing for both us. If you’re gay getting married is like the ultimate coming out and it turns out it’s not for the faint of heart. Only yesterday we were telling each other if we’d known what we were getting ourselves into we might at least have reconsidered or just been too terrified to go through with it.

Same-sex marriages have been legal in Holland for 4 years now and at this time there are about 7.000 gay married couples in my country. So we are joining a very select club. It makes me very, very proud.
At times it’s making me scared as well. Most days you’re just busy living your life, and being gay isn’t important at all. But with the wedding day only a few days away you’re suddenly very aware of being gay, of being different. And it’s a sobering thought.

So why are we going through with the wedding if we feel this way? Because we really, really want to. Thank God no amount of fear can make us forget that we want to spend the rest of our lives together, married.

Today we went to the Dutch Gay Monument in Amsterdam to get some extra courage. (For those planning a visit, it’s close to the Westerkerk). This is what the website of the City of Amsterdam has to say about it:
This monument is a symbol for men and women who are willing to come out and it aims to inspire and support them in their struggle against denial, suppression and discrimination. The monument also commemorates the people who were victims of prosecution because of their sexual orientation.

It was nice to sit there in the sun just feeling thankful that we have this amazing opportunity of getting married. There are still countries in the world where coming out could land you in prison - or worse! At the information stand we bought a little rainbow flag to go on our wedding cake!

Aren't the two kissing Dutch tulip girls cute?

Song of the Day: The Ones: Flawless (Original Radio Mix))
George Michael Song of the Day: Flawless (Go to the City)

Ah, I love, love that song Flawless, all versions of it. And it’s sooo gay! Ok, maybe Flawless isn’t the gayest record of all time but it comes damn close. For what it’s worth, here’s my top three of gayest records. It's really obvious I was a teenager in the eighties, isn't it?

At number one:
Gloria Gaynor: I will survive.
Well, could it be any other song? It’s probably the gay anthem, together with Go West and YMCA of course. This song never fails to cheer me up.

At number two: Flawless and Flawless (Go To The City)
The Ones: Flawless
From the inspired intro of this song (the sound of cameras clicking and flashbulbs going off) till the very last "Absolutely Flawless" this is absolutely brilliant. It’s a song that can easily stay with you all day. I’ve been know to wake up with a "Flawless, absolutely flawless" on my lips.

George Michael: Flawless (Go to the City)
As much as I love the original, I think this is even better because of the addition of George Michael’s voice and lyrics. I’m not sure if it should be considered a cover or an interpretation but I love it to bits.

At number three: almost anything by Jimmy Sommerville!
The Communards: Don’t leave me this way
Ah, I love that wonderful falsetto of Jimmy. Brings back happy memories.

Bronski Beat ft. Marc Almond: I feel love/Johnny Remember me
I bought the Singles Collection 1984/1990 by Jimmy Sommerville on CD a few weeks ago. You know, for the first time I really paid attention to the lyrics of this song. I was in for quite a shock. Wow, basically this is a very erotic song, musical foreplay if you like. I had no idea! I’ve owned that Singles Collection for more than 15 years on music cassettes (yes, I'm that old). My best friend in college made a copy for me as he was a big fan of the Communards. Poor boy was quite the homophobe but he also loved great dance music. Hee, I guess he never listened to the lyrics either.

No comments:

Post a Comment